Last week I completed my 2nd cycle of chemotherapy, something I never thought I would have to experience, yet became a reality thanks to merkel cell cancer. For those who don’t know chemotherapy is drug which acts like a poison, genetically manufactured to kill cancer cells. Only problem is it also kills healthy cells as well, but I’m learning the side effects are real and are something to be respected.
“While I must respect the treatment itself for what it will do to my body, I will never respect the cancer.”
And I vow not to let any of what I’m experiencing diminish how I leverage my faith or how I plan to keep me laughing in the face of it.
“This is the day OUR Lord has made
WE WILL CHOOSE to rejoice and be glad”
This is how my wife and I begin each day in our battle with my cancer, with our rewrite of Psalm 118:24
Top 10 Things I’ve Learned Since Starting Chemo
10. No Grey hair concern because I have no hair period.
9. The money you think you’ll save on hair gel gets spent on sunscreen.
8. Shorter showers = less water usage = better steward of the environment.
7. Howie Mandel’s germaphobia/mysophobia isn’t as silly as I once thought.
6. Just because you lose your hair and take steroids to fight the nausea doesn’t guaranty you’ll be mistaken for Vin Diesel.
5. You CAN convince woman that massaging your scalp brings them good luck.
4. You no longer have an excuse not to audition for the Blue Man Group.
3. The list of characters to dress up as for Halloween is mind-boggling.
2. Safe sex is a real concern during chemo and buying condoms is embarrassing (no matter how old you are).
1. If you dress like this & learn to dance like this you can get free rides at Six Flags.
I’m sure there are plenty more so feel free to add yours in the comment section below!
On a more serious note…I would like to thank everyone for their comments on the blog, emails via the website, and for sharing Leveraging Life with friends on Facebook and Twitter. A big thank you to everyone who prayed for me, and is now praying for Shari & I, your prayers are felt and appreciated beyond what we can express with words!!
trusting God period!!
Next up: Cancer Confessional – Why Me? Why Now?
Are you new to Leveraging Life? If so did you know you can receive Leveraging Life as an email every time I update? If interested all you have to do is click here to subscribe to Leveraging Life. (It’s free.) That way when I update you’ll be notified via email.